In 1928 Hideyo Noguchi, a renowned international bacteriologist in his quest to develop a vaccine for yellow fever, visited Ghana (then Gold Coast) and met his untimely death by the very disease he was combatting. In 1979, the Japanese government in collaboration with the University of Ghana, established an intensive scientific research institute in memory of Hideyo Noguchi. The institute has since then been engaged in research into bacterial, viral and other infectious diseases.
In 2016, the Japanese government donated a grant of 20million dollars to the University of Ghana for the construction of new state of the art research laboratories. On Tuesday the 26th of March, many people from within and outside the university community came to witness the opening of the ultramodern edifice which housed many fully staffed research labs.
Present at the Institute’s forecourts on legon campus were the Chancellor of the university, Mrs Mary Chinery-Hesse, the Vice Chancellor; Prof. Ebenezer Oduro Owusu, the Japanese Ambassador to Ghana; Mr. Tsutomu Himeno, Hon. Kwaku Agyemang-Manu, the Minister of Health, Hon. Yaw Osafo Marfo, the Senior Minister, Prof. Kwesi Yankah, the Minister for Tertiary Education among several other dignitaries.
The Director of the Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical Research, Professor Abraham Annan in his keynote address commended the hard work and dedication of past and present directors and staff of the Institute and the support of the University of Ghana, which has served as the home of the center since its inception.
The Japanese ambassador, expressed his joy at contributions of the Institute towards research on the continent and the entire globe. Mr. Himeno pledged the continuous support of the Japanese government towards the Institute which continues to be the hub of scientific research in Ghana and Africa at large.
Noguchi memorial Institute is noted to have diagnosed the first case of HIV infection in 1986 among other notable achievements.