Applications for Cohort 4 Now Open!
The Application Will Close at 11:59 UTC on 31 January 2021
AWEC is the accelerant behind hundreds of African female entrepreneurs who have transformed and grown their businesses. We are seeking the next 200 women who are ready to join our cohort for a high-impact applied learning experience.
From 18 January 2021 – 31 January 2021, AWEC will accept applications for its highly selective leadership and business management capacity building program. This program is designed for African women entrepreneurs seeking to expand their knowledge, increase their skills, broaden their network, and make lifelong connections.
Who Should Apply
Women who are:
- Founders of businesses that have been in operation for at least two years in any industry and have at least two employees (either full time or part time) OR women who have a strong business concept and plan to launch their business within the next year
- Founders of social enterprises are encouraged to apply; founders of NGOs or nonprofit organizations are no longer eligible for the 12-month program
- Citizens of any African country, currently living on the continent or in the diaspora
- Comfortable with remote teamwork and collaboration, especially using digital tools
- Proficient in verbal and written English
- Able to regularly (at least weekly) access the Internet through a computer or tablet
AWEC admissions do not discriminate based on race, religion, age, disability, marital status, education, business revenue, or geographic location.
Please note: For those living in the diaspora, your business must clearly impact Africa through the creation or delivery of its products or services, or based on where its customers reside.
What We Look For
AWEC seeks to build diverse cohorts in which Fellows share some consistent characteristics:
- Vision and resiliency
- Business clarity and market knowledge
- Commitment to building their businesses
- Motivation to be part of a yearlong learning experience
What to Expect
This program is rigorous and time intensive. Fellows should expect to:
- Spend an average of 4 to 6 hours per week participating in AWEC activities, primarily online
- Participate in at least one AWEC activity per week throughout the program, including Zoom-enabled meetings
- Be challenged, stretched, and inspired as they acquire new knowledge
- Develop skills, build their peer network, and transform their businesses
- Be matched with a mentor and to take ownership of their mentor/mentee relationship
- Be introduced to a peer group, and actively contribute to group discussions and activities
- Gain access to a program advisor from whom they can seek support when needed
- Respond to periodic surveys to improve the overall experience
Please seriously consider these commitments before applying and/or accepting an offer to participate in AWEC.
All AWEC Fellows must have reliable access to the Internet, at least once per week. AWEC requires Fellows to participate in video conference calls, which generally requires more bandwidth than typical Internet browsing.
For more information, click here Learn More