The Faculty of Science and its alumni association Science@Leuven are proud to announce the Science@Leuven Scholarships!
Application for 2021-2022 is now open!
Programmes you can apply for with the Science@Leuven Scholarship
Motivated and talented international students interested in participating in an international master programme of the Faculty of Science of the KU Leuven are invited to apply for a scholarship.
For the following masters you can apply for the Scholarship :
- Master of Chemistry
- Master of Geography
- Interuniversity Master of Geology(only students applying for the specialisation Geodynamics and Georesources or Surface processes and Paleoenvironments can apply for the scholarship. Students applying for the other specialisations (enrollment at Ghent University) will not be considered for the scholarship.)
- Master of Physics
- Master of Statistics
amount of Scholarship
The amount of the scholarship can be up to 10.000 Euro for 1 year. The Board of the Science@Leuven Fund will decide exactly how much a scholarship will be. The scholarship will always cover the tuition fee for 1 year, the insurance and a basic health insurance coverage. The amount awarded for living expenses can vary.
If a student is awarded the full scholarship of 10.000 Euro, it is still advisable to bring some extra money. You can find an overview of costs to be expected here .
Most master programmes of the Faculty of Science are two-year programmes. The scholarship for the second master year will only be continued on the condition that the student had outstanding results the first master year.
Applicants must meet and prove the following requirements:
- the applicants have not studied or worked at the University of Leuven before,
- the applicants have a bachelor degree from a foreign university that gives them access to the master programme they are applying for,
- the applicants have not yet acquired a master degree or a PhD,
- the applicants can prove excellent study results during their former training,
- the applicants can prove a very strong knowledge of English ( TOEFL (minimum score 94 internet-based with at least 19 for reading, 18 for Listening, 19 for speaking and 21 for writing) or IELTS (minimum score 7 overall, whilst at least 6,5 for reading, 6 for listening, 6 for speaking and 6 for writing),
- the applicants show strong motivation to follow a master programme at the Faculty of Science of the KU Leuven
- the applicants are willing to act as ambassador for the programme.
PLEASE DO NOT APPLY IF YOU DO NOT MEET ALL THE REQUIREMENTS
The students that have been awarded a scholarship will be asked to sign a contract that stipulates the conditions of acceptance.
For all the English taught master programmes the following language requirements are requested. This is even more so for applicants for the Scholarship. The level of English is a selection criterium.
PROOF OF PROFICIENCY IN ENGLISH
Applicants who are non-native speakers of English must provide evidence of English language proficiency.
* Applicants with a university degree earned in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom or the USA: the certified diploma and transcripts suffice, provided they confirm that the entire university study was completed in English. Absolutely no other diplomas will be accepted as evidence even if the applicant has followed an exclusively English-taught programme.
* Other applicants should submit a satisfactory score on an internationally recognized test of English language proficiency: TOEFL (minimum score 94 internet-based with at least 19 for reading, 18 for Listening, 19 for speaking and 21 for writing) or IELTS (minimum score 7 overall, whilst at least 6,5 for reading, 6 for listening, 6 for speaking and 6 for writing). No other proficiency tests will be accepted, and absolutely no application will be considered without such a test certificate.
How to Apply:
Applicants have to apply for the master programme of their choice through the application form of the KU Leuven. Apply for the Science@Leuven Scholarship via this link.
- After having completed the application form of the official KULeuven application page, applicants register. The id-account asked is the same account as on the application form of the KU Leuven.
- Additional to the information required by the KU Leuven, the applicants also upload the following information through their application form of the KU Leuven:
- A complete list of course titles for which they have obtained a credit Indicate the course size (in ECTS-credits) and the result they obtained, preferably according to the ECTS-scale; if a different scale is used, please provide a summary explanation on the meaning of the scores;
- For the courses that they deem most relevant as a preparation for the master that they are considering, provide a short (about one half to one page) description according to the standard guidelines for an ECTS-study guide;
- Two reference letters of internationally renowned professors
- A letter of motivation for the programme.